Thursday, February 2, 2012

Style Bubble, Cousin IT, Dagmar & Gilets



Style bubble is one of the reasons I started blogging. She is everything I could ever want to be. Cool and not cool about it. Shows me fashion, non mainstream designers & she is a fabulous writer. She should write a book. One of my most favorite parts of her blog is her putting the clothes on giving us a fashion show. A progression of pageantry fashion lovers  find sumptuous. Most importantly I learn from the balance she lends to her garments, what goes here, how you wear this, she is a great teacher. Here is her delightful take on the Dagmar show A/W 12-3.

" Look!  I'm gesticulating wildly in happy boppy presenter mode in the video above and giving off super cheesy grins whilst talking to the Dagmar girls about their A/W 12-3 collection!  To be fair, all the ingredients were there - a few Absolut Vodka drinks which were named Absolut Dagmar for the night, a random sighting of director Spike Lee who was weirdly at the show and a collection that nearly led me to rip a shaggy knee length waistcoat off
>> Look!  I'm gesticulating wildly in happy boppy presenter mode in the video above and giving off super cheesy grins whilst talking to the Dagmar girls about their A/W 12-3 collection!  To be fair, all the ingredients were there - a few Absolut Vodka drinks which were named Absolut Dagmar for the night, a random sighting of director Spike Lee who was weirdly at the show and a collection that nearly led me to rip a shaggy knee length waistcoat off Frida Gustavsson in the opening look.  Ok, there was a minor hiccup where Hilary Alexander started coughing violently besides me and I promptly gave her a really weak back slap to try and ease the choking but didn't help her at all.  Yup, just a teensy tiny hiccup there.
I digress.  Hilary did recover enough to watch the show and give her approval of the collection.  There's not much not to like.  Dagmar do knits and do them well and without delving too much into concept and thematic machinations, they consistently turn out knit pieces that feel one-off without compromising wearability as they admittedly stick to some easy going shapes.  It's their selection of yarns and mixing up the gauge of the knits that really works for them.  Yeti knits, mohair stripes, deco lace patterns and chunky aran complete the spectrum of knits that range from fine and delicate to chunky and protective.  On the non-knit front, I liked the proposition of a luxurious knitted shawl over silk pyjamas.  Curiously, a cut-out leather top made an appearance, which stood out like a sore thumb.  It was like a sole act of rebellion that probably propped up showmanship rather than serve any real purpose.  The simplistic bottom line is, it is about those knits.  Or namely, Frida G's choice opening look.  I never thought I'd be a furry gilet type of person.  Or in fact, a gilet person period.  Now I can't stop thinking about one that is almost floor length and almost engulfs the body cousin IT style. "

 
in the opening look.  Ok, there was a minor hiccup where Hilary Alexander started coughing violently besides me and I promptly gave her a really weak back slap to try and ease the choking but didn't help her at all.  Yup, just a teensy tiny hiccup there.
I digress.  Hilary did recover enough to watch the show and give her approval of the collection.  There's not much not to like.  Dagmar do knits and do them well and without delving too much into concept and thematic machinations, they consistently turn out knit pieces that feel one-off without compromising wearability as they admittedly stick to some easy going shapes.  It's their selection of yarns and mixing up the gauge of the knits that really works for them.  Yeti knits, mohair stripes, deco lace patterns and chunky aran complete the spectrum of knits that range from fine and delicate to chunky and protective.  On the non-knit front, I liked the proposition of a luxurious knitted shawl over silk pyjamas.  Curiously, a cut-out leather top made an appearance, which stood out like a sore thumb.  It was like a sole act of rebellion that probably propped up showmanship rather than serve any real purpose.  The simplistic bottom line is, it is about those knits.  Or namely, Frida G's choice opening look.  I never thought I'd be a furry gilet type of person.  Or in fact, a gilet person period.  Now I can't stop thinking about one that is almost floor length and almost engulfs the body cousin IT style. " 

This tangerine color along with the light chocolate milk color are the same intensity in the color world meaning their brightness is at the same levels and if you blurred your eyes at it the boundaries would merge. Vibrating boundaries are the Neon Yellow against a Dark Gray.

I have a sweater I bought in Edinburgh Scotland at this shop run by a husband & wife for 47 years. The shop itself was a find. Brass handles, old mahogany  shelves, lights that were there from 1902. It had the feel of master crafting in the pieces and I bought so many items I had to buy a duffel bag just to get them home.This knit reminds me of that shop and the handmade knits.
This feels sporty with the stripes, and zipper in front like a Eskimo's Hockey Jacket, I love it. Classic
a Fetching Flock if I ever saw one, the neckline and how the knit lays on the body, simple, eye catchings and the color again is staying quiet yet it's the colors of spring only subtle and shy.
I wanted to show this knit just to let you see the diversity in which they use their materials. I am a huge fan of Rodarte, and can't help but think their knits from 2 years back had something to do with the execution of the garment and it's fuzzy parts, and feel.
Orange has captured the year in color. Pantone names Tangerine Tango the color of the year so orange is a big deal. I love the use of it here as the accent color down playing it's trendyness. I look at the neckline, the coat and it's details, the pattern, all rich with texture & stripes. Put the kitchen sink in there.
A knit black bodysuit with patterns running down then sashaying, moving in a hypnotic flow, all the material, all the loveliness of the way it makes you feel imagining wearing it with heels, a great cropped coat (black) and a cuff of equal naturally beauty. This is not for a wallflower.
Cream colored sweater mini dress, how warm, sexy, very versatile & so needed in my wardrobe I am crazy for this because how many pieces can it be. Jeans with heels, worn only with ankle boots, layer it on top of another dress, zebra pattern, color you love, I would put turquoise or the new dark blue, tights with booties, wedges, flats. Worn alone with cream killer heels like Brian Atwoods new booties with studs. Hair up, dangle earrings and everyone will wish they were you or your closet.
Color is playing a huge role in fashion this season all of the colors. On this knit you see turquoise, cream, grey, maybe yellow, and the fuzzy brown texture delight (sounds like a fashion dessert)subtle and not over powering the hand work just accenting it.
I wish I could see the full silhouette. I love the design with the breaks in pattern, bold black lines, it also belongs in my closet.

Layering as come such a long way, it's changed the way people think about dressing & it's changed the way designers design. This is a simple example of that theory. The piece over her shoulders, a shawl type piece yet not at all, it doesn't have a name I know however it changes the silhouette, in a good and interesting way.



The Style Bubble taught me more today, the super uber color machine can be tamed. Using them quietly with textures & design, the silhouette so fresh familiar yet very new. As Susie said she never saw herself as a Gilet person, in fashion you never know what is going to strike you. It's a never ending story and how lucky we are to have so much talent to love.













No comments: