Friday, August 28, 2009

The In on the Fade of Plaid






Plaid plays hide and seek with the world of fashion, sometimes comes out strong and gives you safe and comfortable pieces, other times it runs scared and is unruly with ideas that will make you eyes spin. One thing I know for sure it will always come back in style and you might as well learn how to wear it for yourself. I luckily grew up in Colorado were L.L.Bean, Timberland and JCrew are staples for the outdoors bunch and plaid runs rapid in those stores. Big thick plaid shirts, tiny cute plaid shoes, plaids for weddings, soccer games, and school could be seen everyday. So I have failed buying good stuff for along time and now get a sense of what really works for me and what doesn't. Plaid is a staple in my wardrobe. I have tiny oxford Abercombie & Fitch plaid oxfords, and Gap flannel shirts to layer with all my LLBean sweaters. I once owned a pair of plaid ballet flats. I would squeeze my size 11 feet into these precious blue & green plaid with bright red ribbon and piping on the sides. It was loving wearing them until about 10 o'clock , it was hard being fashionable with my very own fippers for feet. So for surfing this trend I have 3 golden rules. 1, no polyester. 2, is it something that goes with other stuff in your closet? 3, are you comfortable in it? then there are other rules like is it age appropreiate, and made well. My last question is it worth it? How many times will you wear it? So right there on the spot I imagine outfits with it, can it be worn for evening and day. If you apply these to your trendy purchases you will be a happy person. It totally sucks to look in your closet and see that you made a wrong choice. I have been editing out bad clothes for the last 5 years. I have a lot of clothes.

No comments: